Located in the neighborhood of 5 de Diciembre, Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco.
The municipal farmer market of 5 de diciembre is one of the largest mercados in Puerto Vallarta.
In Vallarta we have 3 municipal mercados (farmers & fish market):
- Mercado 5 De Diciembre
- Mercado Aramara
- Mercado Emiliano Zapata
There are several other mercados for various things but establish by the local municipal government these are the 3 recognized mercados.
From our understanding the fisherman go fish at night and the fresh fish, shrimp, lobsters, tuna, marlin, squid and other sea fish. The fish arrives around 4am at the market for the daily sell. So you can count on having daily catch fish every day. The mercado is composed by several shops selling the fish and other produce. All of them are family owned and operated. When you arrive you will notice the vendors trying to earn your business by offering their produce and offering deals. Everyone is friendly and will be happy to assists you and earn your business.
From the mercados sea fish and produce is distributed to the restaurants around the city.
Some of the things you will find at the mercado are:
- Vegetables grown around the city and other parts of the country.
- Fruits from Mexico or imported such as Bananas, Apples, oranges, watermelons, etc.
- Fish like: Dorado, Tuna, Red Shaper, Crabs, Oysters, Marlin, Sail Fish,
- Fresh tortillas from the factory.
- Daily produce like milk, cheese different types of quesos .
- Red meats
- Chicken and other poultry produce.
The mercado 5 de Diciembre operation hours are:
Monday – Friday: 8am – 5pm.
Saturday-Sunday: 9am- 3pm.